Thursday, May 6, 2010

Blog #1 "Infinite"

The Perks of being a Wallflower is about a confused boy named Charlie. The novel is written in a way so it appears that Charlie is writing letters to the reader. These letters reveal a teenage boy who is entering highschool. A confused teenage boy that is going to encounter a new world of first dates, family troubles, drugs, new friends, sex and The Rocky Horror Picture show. However, Charlie's letters also tell a story about a difficult childhood, where he encountered the deaths of important people in his life and how he was left with an overwhelming guilt that still haunts him. Charlie feels alone, and just wants to feel loved. Charlie needs a good friend that will listen and help him find peace in his confusing world.
It is easy to get wrapped up in this book because the letters are sometimes devistating and scary, while other times they are hilarious and funny. Charlie is a complex and unique individual, and his letters are so intimate that the reader gets to know Charlie very well. The novel is about the roller coaster of growing up.

This is a quote from the first section that describes a first in Charlie's teenage life. His first car ride with his two new friends.
"Anyway, Patrick started driving really fast, and just before we got to the tunnel, Sam stood up, and the wind turned her dress into ocean waves. When we hit the tunnel, all the sound got scooped up into a vacuum, and it was replaced by a song on the tape player. A beautiful song called 'Landslide'. When we got out of the tunnel, Sam screamed this really funny scream, and there it was. Downtown. Lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder. Sam sat down and started laughing. Patrick started laughing. I started laughing. And in that moment, I swear we were infinite."

Has there ever been a moment in your life, where you felt "infinite"?

3 comments:

  1. i believe there was a time where i felt infinite, and mainly it has to do with sports.. when doing something i like and its something i know what im doing, then i feel like i can do anything and become any one i want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a moment in my life where I felt "infinite" which was when I use to bike. I felt that I could hit any jump that I saw was a challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the time where I felt infinite has been when I was completely alone and taking in all the beautiful nature around me. If you've ever swam in an ocean, you feel like you're part of the world's natural system. I love swimming in the waves, because you can't control them..you just have to swim with them.

    ReplyDelete