Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Blog #2 "Charlie"

The main character in the novel is a teenage boy named Charlie. Charlie is fifteen years old and is entering highschool without any friends, and many emotional problems that haunt him. Charlie had a tough past, and I don't think that he understands how to deal with all the emotions that he is feeling. Charlie's best friend in middle school, killed himself ; this left Charlie feeling guilty for not being able to save his friend from himself. Charlie encountered death again when he was much younger his favourite aunt, the only person in the world that he felt truly loved him, died on her way to pick him up a bithday present. Charlie tends to cry a lot.... it doesn't matter if he is happy, sad, angery, depressed or excited....Charlie ends up crying. There has been countless times that he has had to leave school early because he couldn't stop crying.
Charlie is quiet and keeps to himself.... he watches from the sidelines. He watches people, he keeps quiet about what he sees and tries to understand. This is how he got his title as a wallflower. Charlie wants to break out of this, and he wants to "participate". By "participate" I mean going to the school dances and actually dancing, and going out with friends and going to parties and talking to people. When Charlie starts to "participate" and talk to his new friends, secrets about what he has seen as a wallflower start to come out. Charlie has seen his sister having sex, someone being raped at a party and his new friend Patrick and the football Quarter Back having sex.
Charlie just wants to be loved, and more importantly feel loved. He tries to find this closeness with his family, and his friends. Charlie is begining to find a closeness with his sister and his new best friends Patrick and Sam. The weakness that Charlie has is that, he will do anything to fit in and feel that he belongs. Charlie begins to smoke, drink and do drugs, so that he can do the same things his new friends do. Charlie does not think that there is a problem with doing these things to try and fit in.
If you were in Charlie's position, would you do the things that your friends did just to fit in and feel like you belonged? Do you think that it is wrong that Charlie thinks that what he is doing to fit in is okay?

6 comments:

  1. I think that if my friends were doing things that I didn't believe in then I wouldnt join them, I would just walk away and find new friends. Its better to be alone then do something that you beleive is wrong. I think that it is very wrong to think that what Charlie is doing to fit in it okay because what his friends are doing is obviously not okay so he shouldn't just do what they are doing because he wants to fit in, he could find other people that dont do that to hang out with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that if my friends were doing dumb things just to fit in, I wouldn't do them if I thought they were wrong. They aren't really friend material if they are doing bad things like drugs and such. I would just find new friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not follow my friends and do something stupid that they are doing. I would become independant and not be a follower. Just because my friends are getting into drinking and drugs doesnt mean that i should follow. If my "friends" dont accept me for not doing drugs with them then they are not my real friends and i would want to stop being "friends" with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with Jenn. If you dont believe something is right to do and you tell your friends that they should understand. If they stop becoming friends with you because of that then they aren't your true friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jenn and Megan. If your friends being involved with things you don't like, you don't have to do them. I agree, if they don't except you for who you are than you should just find new friends.
    I do think that Charlie is wrong in thinking that what he is doing for fitting in, is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't follow my friends, just because they are doing something that i know is wrong. If a person doesn't accept you for who you are then, then they don't deserve your friendship. He could just go in the opposite direction and find people who he can be friends with.

    ReplyDelete